Adam D. Kemper focuses in the area of labor and employment law. He counsels employers of all sizes on a variety of workplace and human resources issues including, but not limited to, interviewing, hiring, employee discipline and discharge, workplace discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wage and hour, whistleblower, unemployment, medical marijuana compliance, restrictive covenants, non-compete agreements, non-solicitation agreements, non-disclosure agreements, separation agreements, workplace policies and employee handbooks. Mr. Kemper has recently begun working with Cannabis businesses on their various workplace needs.
Mr. Kemper also has extensive experience litigating employment-related disputes on behalf of both employees and employers. Mr. Kemper has litigated numerous cases from inception to trial. During law school, Mr. Kemper worked as an intern investigator of the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Mr. Kemper regularly drafts articles and conducts seminars for companies on relevant labor and employment topics.
Mr. Kemper is also the Chair of Greenspoon Marder’s Summer Associate Program, where he distributes work assignments, establishes goals, and mentors summer associates on ways to improve and overcome deficiencies that are common among law students and junior associates.
- U.S. District Court, Middle District Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District Florida
- J.D., Florida International University College of Law, cum laude, 2010
- B.A., Florida State University, cum laude, 2007
Professional and Community Involvement
- Boca Raton Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Emerge Broward, Former Executive Board Member and Co-Chair of the Develop Committee, Member
- Speaker, “How to Manage Employees’ Social Media Usage in the Workplace,” Clear Law Institute Webinar, November 8, 2018
- Speaker, “Workplace Considerations for Employers in Light of the Legalization of Medical Marijuana in Florida,” Medical Marijuana in the Workplace Breakfast Forum, October 24, 2018
- Speaker, “Wage and Hour Compliance: Guidance on How to Remain in Compliance and Avoid Wage and Hour Lawsuits and Audits in 2018/2019,” Total Rewards Association of South Florida Conference, October 18, 2018
- Speaker, “#MeToo Movement’s Impact on the Workplace and Employer Obligation Towards Addressing and Avoiding Sexual Harassment,” Human Resource Association of Broward County’s (HRABC) Annual Conference, October 5, 2018
- Speaker, “Cannabis Beyond Nevada,” Business of Marijuana in Nevada, July 19, 2018
- Speaker, “Tips To Avoid Sexual Harassment in the Workplace and How To Report It,” Paralegal Association of Florida Boca Raton Chapter Luncheon Meeting, July 12, 2018
- Speaker, “Wage and Hour Compliance Seminar: Tips for the 2017 Employer,” Ultimate Software and Greenspoon Marder Webinar, July 13, 2017
- Speaker, “Wage and Hour Compliance Seminar: Tips for the 2017 Employer,” Ultimate Software and Greenspoon Marder Luncheon, June 8, 2017
- Panelist, “Legal Areas of Practice Affected by Cannabis Law,” Palm Beach County Bar Association Cannabis Law Summit, April 20, 2017
- Speaker, “Medical Marijuana in the Workplace,” Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce Luncheon, April 12, 2017
- Speaker, “Wage and Hour Compliance Seminar: Tips for the 2017 Employer”, Ultimate Software and Greenspoon Marder Luncheon, March 22, 2017
- Speaker, “Effects of Marijuana on Employers“, Broward County Bar Association Medical Marijuana Legalization Summit, February 10, 2017
- Speaker, Increased FCRA Background Check Litigation – How Employers Reduce Risk in 2016, December 15, 2015.
- Presenter, “Gender Identity and Related Discrimination in the Workplace” at the Hot Topics in Today’s Workplace Seminar, October 28, 2015.
- Panelist, Employment and Labor Law Panel, Presented by FIU Law’s Employment and Labor Law Society, March 19, 2015.
- Super Lawyers magazine, Florida “Rising Stars,” Employment & Labor, 2017
- Author, “Blockchain: The Nationwide Solution to Cannabis Tracking,” Cannabis News Florida, March 11, 2019
- Author, “Can an Employer in Florida Legally Terminate a Medical Marijuana User? It Depends…,” Cannabis News Florida, December 2018
- “Employer Obligations Toward Employees Who Use Medical Marijuana,” South Florida Business & Wealth, March 23, 2017
- Co-Authored, “Medical Marijuana and Employees: What Employers Need to Know about Employees and Medical Marijuana,” Vegas Legal magazine, December 5, 2016
- “Don’t Get Caught With Your Hands In The Tip Jar,” Vegas Legal magazine, August 31, 2016
- “How employers can prepare for DOL overtime rules,” Employee Benefits News, August 2, 2016
- “Restaurant, Here are some ‘Tips’ to Avoid Wage and Hour Lawsuits,” Food & Beverage magazine and Daily Business Review, 2016
- “Tips to Avoid Trouble,” Nonavibe magazine, June 6, 2016
- “8 Employment Issues to be on the Lookout for this Year,” Nonavibe magazine, May 5, 2016
- “Big changes in the workplace in 2016 | The Work/Life Balancing Act,” Miami Herald, March 3, 2016
- “Greenspoon Marder: Interns Must ‘Primarily Benefit’ From Their Internship Program or Else Companies Must Pay Minimum Wage,” PR Newswire, July 14, 2015
- “Strategic Perspectives- Employers need a uniform policy on smoking- which includes use of e-cigarettes,” Employment Law Daily, July 8, 2015
- “Complying With UPS Decision Should Be Light Duty,” Daily Business Review, March 31, 2015
- “Home Health Workers: Who Pays for Overtime?,” HomeCare magazine, March 2, 2015
- “With Same-Sex Marriage, Employee Handbook May Need Changes,” Daily Business Review, February 5, 2015
- “Florida’s recent ruling on gay marriage should prompt employers to revisit their employee handbooks,” Miami Herald, February 2, 2015
- “Home Health Care Industry, Pay Close Attention: The Dept. of Labor Changes to the Companionship Exemption Will Affect You,” FHI Weekly, January 19, 2015
In the News
- Quoted, “Cover Story: Cannabis Law Offers Scarce Guidance for Employers,” South Florida Business Journal, June 21, 2019
- Quoted, “How Will Regulatory Bodies Impact the Industry?,” DecentraNet Market Report, January 2019
- Quoted, “State Pot Expansions Shift Spotlight To Workplace Drug Bans,” Law360, November 21, 2018
- Quoted, “Decline in Marijuana Screening Raises Safety Concerns,” Business Insurance, May 16, 2018
- Quoted, “A Massachusetts Court Ruling Might End Up Changing How Some Employers View Medical Marijuana,” Blunt Network, August 2, 2017
- Quoted, “Creating a Successful (and Legal) Internship Program,” Business News Daily, April 18, 2017
- Greenspoon Marder Supports Palm Beach County Bar Association’s Cannabis Law Summit
- Greenspoon Marder Attorneys Phil Silvestri & Adam Kemper Featured Speakers at the Business of Marijuana in Nevada
- Greenspoon Marder Attorney Adam Kemper Featured Speaker at the Medical Marijuana in the Workplace Breakfast Forum
- Greenspoon Marder Promotes Six Attorneys To Partner In 2020