Irina Dashevsky is a partner in the Cannabis Law practice group at Greenspoon Marder. Ms. Dashevsky advises clients on legal, regulatory, and legislative developments in the highly regulated and competitive cannabis industry. She is also a seasoned commercial litigator. Ms. Dashevsky represents a range of cannabis clients, including public multi-state operators, state-licensed dispensaries, cultivators, infusers, distributors, new social equity entrants, ancillary businesses, and those looking to enter the cannabis space. Her practice includes nearly every aspect of the cannabis industry, from state-level licensing, real estate, regulatory and compliance to litigation and M&A. Ms. Dashevsky is a sought-after resource for her knowledge of the rapidly evolving cannabis industry across the U.S., and in particular in Illinois and New York, and her ability to help cannabis and hemp related businesses navigate the complex legal landscape.
Over the past several years, Ms. Dashevsky has been at the forefront of cannabis law and holds an active role in Illinois’ cannabis law community as a champion for the industry. She was recognized among Law360’s “Rising Stars” in Cannabis Law for 2021. Considered a thought leader, Ms. Dashevsky frequently publishes and presents about legal issues facing the cannabis industry. Notably, Ms. Dashevsky also serves as a member of Law360’s 2021 Cannabis Editorial Advisory Board. She is currently a member of the Illinois Women in Cannabis organization and previously served as Chair for the Steering Committee for the Chicago Bar Association Leadership Institute.
As a seasoned litigator, Ms. Dashevsky has extensive experience managing and resolving consumer finance and real estate related disputes for clients throughout all stages of litigation in federal and state court. She has handled a wide range of matters, including insurance coverage defense, consumer finance defense, contract disputes, government contracts and regulation, gaming, real estate and complex mortgage foreclosures. Ms. Dashevsky concentrates on representing financial institutions in individual and class action lawsuits arising under myriad state and federal consumer protection statutes, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Truth in Lending Act; and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
Prior to joining Greenspoon Marder, Ms. Dashevsky was a partner at Locke Lord and served as Co-Chair of Locke Lord’s Cannabis Industry Group and as Co-Editor of the firm’s Cannabis Law Blog.
- J.D., magna cum laude, Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 2009
- B.A., Political Science Honors Program, High Honors, DePaul University, 2005
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
Professional and Community Involvement
- Chicago Bar Association Leadership Institute, Steering Committee, Chair
- Illinois Women in Cannabis, Member
- Law360 Cannabis Editorial Advisory Board, Member
- Speaker, “280E: Beyond the Basics and Recent Updates,” Grown In Cannabis & Capital Summit, June 16, 2021
- Speaker, “Cannabis in Interstate Commerce: Of Trade Bans, Closed Markets and Baking at Home,” International Cannabis Bar Association and Sacramento County Bar Association, Cannabis Law Section, May 4, 2021
- Speaker, “Illinois Cannabis Licensing,” Illinois Women in Cannabis (IWC) Second Annual Conference, March 22, 2021
- Speaker, “Cresco Labs SEED Phase 1 Incubator Series,” October 29, 2019
- Speaker, “Cannabis Industry Event,” DePaul University, November 14, 2019
- Speaker, “A Budding Industry: Cannabis and Commercial Real Estate,” Crew Dallas, September 18, 2019
- Speaker, “The Land of Lincoln (and Weed): An Analysis of Illinois’s Recreational Marijuana Law,” Celesq AttorneysEd Center Webinar, July 23, 2019
- Law360, “Rising Star,” Cannabis, 2021
- U.S. News and World Report, “Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch,” Commercial Litigation, 2021
In the News
- Quoted, “ High Court Keeps Tight Grip On Medical Pot Licenses,” Law360, June 24, 2021
- Quoted, “Why Some Pot Licenses Could Turn Pumpkins,” Crain’s Chicago Business, February 12, 2021
- Quoted, “Illinois To Allow Application Do-overs; Some Argue It’s Not Enough,” WeedWeek, September 23, 2020
- Quoted, “Lawsuits Stack Up Over Illinois Pot Dispensary Licensing,” Law360, September 14, 2020
- Quoted, “Why Litigation Threatens Illinois Weed Growth,” Crain’s Chicago Business, September 11, 2020
- Quoted, “Pot Holes: Social-equity clauses could face challenges in court,” Chicago Daily Bulletin, June 27, 2019
- Greenspoon Marder Expands Cannabis Law Practice in the Midwest and Names New Cannabis Group Chair
- Greenspoon Marder Partner Irina Dashevsky Named As A 2021 Law360 “Rising Star” in Cannabis
- New York Cannabis Business End Game: Real Estate
- Greenspoon Marder Partner Irina Dashevsky Selected as Chicago Business Journal’s Women of Influence honoree for 2021