Justin McNaughton is a member of the Intellectual Property practice group at Greenspoon Marder. As a registered patent attorney he assists clients in protecting their inventions, software, and investments. As a trademark attorney, he assists clients in protecting the hard earned goodwill their brands represent. Patents he has assisted with include an “ergonomic electronic instrument with pseudo strings,” a “device with dilated oxidation zone for gasification of feedstock,” a “method for cleaning producer gas using a microwave induced plasma cleaning device,” a “self-cleaning pre-filter for a water circulation pump,” and a “water shelter or shed to protect a worker from heat, smoke, fire and chemicals.”
Mr. McNaughton’s practice focuses in the following areas: patent prosecution and protection, trademark, and copyright law; internet and website law; commercial contracts and technology licensing; biotechnology and life sciences; and entrepreneurs and startups. He also negotiates technology, software, trademark and patent licenses, technology transfer agreements, product research and development agreements, and intellectual property acquisition agreements, website terms and conditions, privacy policies, and purchasing agreements. He enjoys assisting startups and entrepreneurs in forming their companies, implementing intellectual property assignments, operating agreements, buy-sell agreements, and shared services agreements, and providing general corporate advice.
Mr. McNaughton was the President of the Young Lawyers Division of the Nashville Bar Association in 2016, where he assisted fundraising and organizing events such as Race Judicata, Arts Immersion, Carbolic Smoke Ball, Brews for Backpacks, and Craft Beers for Costumes.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- J.D., Washington University, 2004
- B.A., Microbiology, Brigham Young University, 2001
Professional and Community Involvement
- United States Patent Bar, Member
- Tennessee Bar Association, Member
- Nashville Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, President, 2016
- Missouri Bar Association, Member
- Speaker, “Intellectual Property in Cannabis: What Can You Protect?,” Cannabis Law, Accounting and Business Conference & Expo, October 26, 2017
- Panelist, “IP and the Intersection of Product Labeling and Packaging for Your Cannabis Business,” Cannabis World Congress and Business Exposition, New York, June 16, 2017
- Panelist, “Legal Areas of Practice Affected by Cannabis Law,” Palm Beach County Bar Association Cannabis Law Summit, April 20, 2017
- Speaker, “IP in the Cannabis Industry,” Greenspoon Marder Denver Cannabis Workshop, April 6, 2017
- Speaker, “IP in the Cannabis Industry,” Greenspoon Marder Portland Cannabis Workshop, February 16, 2017
- Martindale-Hubbell, Rated AV® Preeminent ™
- Author, “What is the difference between a business name and a trademark?,” Trademarkology blog, July 28, 2016
- Author, “America’s Prince,” Trademarkology blog, April 22, 2016
- Author, “PECHU SANDWICH: Lettuce, Tomato, Cheese, Chicken – Hold the © and ®,” Trademarkology blog, August 28, 2015
In the News
- Quoted, “USPTO Opens Door to CBD Trademarks as the Market Booms,” Law Week Colorado, June 12, 2019
- Featured, “Cannabis Quirks in Intellectual Property Law,” Law Week Colorado, April 20, 2017
- Greenspoon Marder Celebrates the Opening of its New Office in Denver with a Reception and Workshop on IP in the Cannabis Industry
- Greenspoon Marder Supports Palm Beach County Bar Association’s Cannabis Law Summit
- Greenspoon Marder Supports the Cannabis World Congress & Business Expo in New York
- Greenspoon Marder Attorney Justin McNaughton Featured Speaker at 2018 Connecticut Legal Conference
- USDA Accepting Applications of Seed-Propagated Hemp for Plant Variety Protection
- Cannabis Trademarks – The USPTO Issues New Guidance
- The Cannabis Patent Wars Begin
- Greenspoon Marder Supports the Cannabis World Congress and Business Expo in Los Angeles
- Hemp is “legal,” but what does it mean for U.S. trademarks?
- Illinois Legalizes Recreational Cannabis!